Money In Your Pocket
The Money In Your Pocket Campaign is a community collaboration of organizations lead by United Way of the Capital Region (UWCR) that is committed to the economic stability of local families. The program aims to increase use of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
Volunteers prepare computerized, electronic returns through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Tax Income Assistance (VITA) program, which is designed to provide low-income families with help completing federal and state returns, and obtaining credits for which they are eligible.
For tax year 2013, 225 volunteers provided free income tax preparation for low- to moderate-income families. A total of 4,707 tax returns were filed, resulting in more than $5.3 million returned to local families.
Money In Your Pocket Volunteers Needed
Volunteers are needed to offer tax preparation services at designated sites in the Capital Region from January 29 through April 15 during day and evening hours. All volunteers will be trained to prepare computerized, electronic returns.
Informational sessions will be held at the following locations for those interested in finding out more about the program:
- Wednesday, October 15, 6 p.m. - New Hope Ministries, 5228 East Trindle Road, Mechanicsburg.
- Tuesday, October 21, 6 p.m. – Newport Senior Citizen’s Center, 2 North 2nd Street, Newport.
- Wednesday, October 22, 6 p.m. – Employment Skills Center, 29 S. Hanover Street, Carlisle.
- Monday, November 3, 6 p.m. – Widener University School of Law, 3800 Vartan Way, Harrisburg.
- Tuesday, November 11, 6 p.m. – Goodwill Keystone Area, 1150 Goodwill Drive, Harrisburg.
- Thursday, November 13, 4 p.m. – Northern Dauphin Human Services Center, 295 State Street, Elizabethville.