Leaving Your Charitable Legacy
At United Way of the Capital Region we understand that proceeds from our annual campaign alone cannot support the growing human service challenges in our community. That’s why the United Way Foundation was created in 1996.
The Foundation provides a stable base of funding, especially during tough economic times, as well as a long-term base of support to meet needs as they change over time.
How Can I Make a Gift to the Foundation?
There are a few simple ways you can make a gift to the Foundation. Here are some options:
- Bequest: You can include the United Way Foundation in your will by designating an exact amount, or a percentage of the assets in your will. The following is sample language to use when establishing a bequest: “I give, devise and bequeath ____% of the remainder and residue of property owed at my death, whether real or personal, to the United Way Foundation of the Capital Region in Enola, PA.”
- IRA or Life Insurance Beneficiary: By designating the United Way Foundation as a full or partial beneficiary, these types of gifts can avoid taxes and the estate can receive charitable deductions.
- United Way Life Insurance: You can create a life insurance policy through United Way Worldwide that has five years of annual premiums. United Way of the Capital Region would own and benefit from the policy with a guaranteed death benefit to the United Way Foundation. Annual premiums are tax deductible and vary depending on the policy and its criteria.
- United Way Charitable Gift Annuity: By donating cash or stock to create a United Way Charitable Gift Annuity you receive an income tax deduction for your gift and guaranteed fixed annuity payments for life, based on a rate higher than current CD rates. The remaining principal of the fund will benefit United Way of the Capital Region. To receive payments now, you need to be 60 years of age or older. Deferred gift annuities are also available.
- Cash Gift or Long-Term Appreciated Stocks: These types of gifts come from your current assets and qualify for a charitable tax deduction. United Way of the Capital Region Help Build a Strong Foundation for the Future
Letter of Intent
We would appreciate knowing if you intend to make a planned gift to the Foundation. If you prefer to remain anonymous, your gift will be kept confidential. Please download the letter of intent, complete and mail to:
United Way Foundation of the Capital Region
2235 Millennium Way
Enola, PA 17025
Planned Giving Resources
For more information about planned giving through the United Way Foundation of the Capital Region, contact Tim Fatzinger at 717.732.0700.