Free Tax Preparation Help
Free Tax Prep Services for Working Families
Low- to moderate-income working families and individuals in Dauphin, Cumberland and Perry counties may be eligible to receive free tax preparation services through the Money in Your Pocket (MIYP) program.
The effort is part of Money in Your Pocket (MIYP), a community collaboration of organizations committed to the economic stability of local families. The program, led by United Way of the Capital Region, aims to increase use of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC). The EITC is a tax credit offered by the federal government to supplement wages for low-income workers.
Services will be available February 5 – April 15, 2024.
The Money in Your Pocket program is funded by Citizens Bank, PNC, Truist Foundation and the U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service.
In Person Tax Preparation Sites
MIYP sites will be open February 5 – April 15, 2024.
Families (2 or more people) who made $64,000 or less and individuals who made $45,000 or less in 2023 may be eligible to have their taxes prepared for free by trained volunteers. From start to finish, volunteers help prepare and file state and federal taxes for free at sites throughout Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties. For a list of sites, view the MIYP flyers below.
Scheduling will be begin on January 8.
**To schedule an appointment, dial the numbers 2-1-1 from your phone.**
Touch-Free Taxes Program
United Way of the Capital Region is offering the Touch-Free Taxes program for people who made $64,000 or less in 2023. Touch-Free Taxes can be done from the comfort of your home and connects you to a trained volunteer to complete your taxes at no cost.
How to Use Touch-Free Taxes
- To use Touch-Free Taxes, you must have a valid e-mail address and/or the ability to send and receive text messages. You must also be able to print your local tax return.
- Visit www.getyourrefund.org/uwcrpa then answer the questions and upload photos of your tax information and forms.
- A volunteer will contact you to do a phone interview/intake to begin the preparation process.
- A volunteer will prepare your Federal and State returns remotely.
- A volunteer will call you to review the completed return.
- Your return will be e-mailed to you to review and sign.
- Once signed, a volunteer will submit your return electronically.
- Your local return will be e-mailed to you to print and mail to your local tax office.
- Once processed, you will receive your refund via direct deposit or paper check.
For more information, view the flyer below or e-mail [email protected].
Do Your Own Taxes Online for Free Through MyFreeTaxes
Individuals with computer skills can utilize the website, www.myfreetaxes.com and prepare their own state and federal taxes for FREE. This easy-to-use website is sponsored by United Way Worldwide.
MyFreeTaxes is also available in Spanish!