Money in Your Pocket
FREE Virtual Tax Prep Services Through Touch-Free Taxes Program
This year United Way and Money in Your Pocket will offer free VIRTUAL tax preparation services through the Touch-Free Taxes program. Low- to moderate-income individuals and families who made $57,000 or less in 2020 are eligible. The mobile-friendly website connects you to one of our trained United Way volunteers to help complete your taxes remotely at no cost.
How to Use Touch-Free Taxes
- Visit www.getyourrefund.org/uwcrpa then answer the questions and upload photos of your tax information and forms. This can be done by scanning them or taking a photo with your smart phone.*
- A volunteer will contact you to do a phone interview/intake to begin the preparation process.
- A volunteer will prepare your Federal and State returns remotely.
- A volunteer will call you to review the completed return.
- Your return will be e-mailed to you to review and sign.
- Once signed, a volunteer will submit your return electronically.
- Your local return will be e-mailed to you to print and mail to your local tax office.
- Once processed, you will receive your refund via direct deposit or paper check.
For more information, click on the button below to view or download the Touch-Free Taxes flyer.
*If you do not have access to a smartphone, tablet or computer to scan your tax documents, we will offer limited scanning assistance at several locations by appointment only. A few things to keep in mind:
- You will be required to wear a mask at all times and have your temperature checked prior to entering the building.
- If you are feeling ill, have a temperature or have traveled outside the state in the previous two weeks, you will be asked to reschedule your appointment.
- We will be following all recommended health and safety guidelines for your safety and the safety of our volunteers. This includes wearing masks, observing limits on occupancy and closing the scanning sites if there is another general shutdown.
Do Your Own Taxes Online for Free Through MyFreeTaxes
Individuals with computer skills can utilize the website, www.myfreetaxes.com and prepare their own state and federal taxes. MyFreeTaxes is FREE for all simple returns and includes schedule C. This easy-to-use website is sponsored by United Way Worldwide.
Money in Your Pocket Tax Preparation Program
The Money in Your Pocket (MIYP) campaign is a community collaboration of organizations led by United Way of the Capital Region that is committed to the economic stability of local families. The program aims to increase use of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
Volunteers prepare computerized, electronic returns through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Tax Income Assistance (VITA) program, which is designed to provide low- to moderate-income working families with help completing federal and state returns, and obtaining credits for which they are eligible.
For tax year 2019, volunteers filed 3,698 tax returns, resulting in more than $3 million returned to local families.
The Money in Your Pocket program is funded by the U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service and PNC Bank.