Money in Your Pocket
Money in Your Pocket Tax Preparation Program
Money in Your Pocket (MIYP) is a community partnership led by United Way of the Capital Region that is committed to the economic stability of local families. The program aims to increase use of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
Volunteers prepare computerized, electronic returns through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Tax Income Assistance (VITA) program, which provides low- to moderate-income working families with help completing federal and state returns, and obtaining credits for which they are eligible. The program is available January through April.
For tax year 2021, 195 volunteers filed 3,271 tax returns, resulting in more than $4.66 million returned to local families.
MIYP Tax Preparation Sites
MIYP sites will be open January 30 – April 15, 2023.
Families (2 or more people) who made $60,000 or less and individuals who made $45,000 or less in 2022 may be eligible to have their taxes prepared for free by trained volunteers. From start to finish, volunteers help prepare and file state and federal taxes for free at sites throughout Cumberland, Dauphin and Perry counties. For a list of sites, view the MIYP site flyers below. MASKS MAY BE REQUIRED AT SITES.
**To schedule an appointment, dial the numbers 2-1-1 from your phone.**
Touch-Free Taxes Program
Touch-Free Taxes is a free remote tax preparation service. Touch-Free Taxes can be done from the comfort of your home and connects you to a trained volunteer to complete your taxes. Touch-Free Taxes will be available beginning January 31, 2023.
How to Use Touch-Free Taxes
- Visit www.getyourrefund.org/uwcrpa then answer the questions and upload photos of your tax information and forms. This can be done by scanning them or taking a photo with your smart phone.
- A volunteer will contact you to do a phone interview/intake to begin the preparation process.
- A volunteer will prepare your Federal and State returns remotely.
- A volunteer will call you to review the completed return.
- Your return will be e-mailed to you to review and sign.
- Once signed, a volunteer will submit your return electronically.
- Your local return will be e-mailed to you to print and mail to your local tax office.
- Once processed, you will receive your refund via direct deposit or paper check.
Do Your Own Taxes Online for Free Through MyFreeTaxes
Individuals with computer skills can utilize the website, www.myfreetaxes.com and prepare their own state and federal taxes for FREE. This easy-to-use website is sponsored by United Way Worldwide.
MyFreeTaxes is also available in Spanish!
The Money in Your Pocket program is funded by the U.S. Department of Treasury, Internal Revenue Service, PNC Foundation and Truist Foundation.