Money In Your Pocket
The Money in Your Pocket Campaign (MIYP) is a community collaboration of organizations lead by United Way of the Capital Region that is committed to the economic stability of local families. The program aims to increase use of the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
Volunteers prepare computerized, electronic returns through the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Tax Income Assistance (VITA) program, which is designed to provide low- to moderate-income working families with help completing federal and state returns, and obtaining credits for which they are eligible.
For tax year 2014, 230 volunteers filed 5,246 tax returns, resulting in more than $5.2 million returned to local families. This helped individuals and families increase their income by an average of six percent.
MIYP Volunteers Needed
Volunteers are needed to offer tax preparation services at designated sites in the Capital Region from January 28 through April 15, 2016 during day and evening hours. All volunteers will be trained to prepare computerized, electronic returns.
Informational sessions will be held at the following locations for prospective volunteers:
- Tuesday, October 6, 6-8 p.m. – Tri County Community Action, 1514 Derry Street, Harrisburg.
- Tuesday, October 13, 6-8 p.m. – New Hope Ministries, 5228 East Trindle Road, Mechanicsburg.
- Tuesday, October 20, 6-8 p.m. – Employment Skills Center, 29 S. Hanover Street, Carlisle.
- Monday, November 2, 6-8 p.m. – Widener University Commonwealth Law School, 3800 Vartan Way, Harrisburg.
- Tuesday, November 10, 6-8 p.m. – Goodwill Keystone Area, 1150 Goodwill Drive, Harrisburg.
- Thursday, November 12, 4-6 p.m. – Northern Dauphin Human Services Center, 295 State Street, Elizabethville.
View a copy of our MIYP Open House Flyer for more information.